My Little Man is a whole year old today. I’m still trying to figure out how it managed to happen so quickly. I just hope it’s been a good year for him, that I’ve done my job well and that he’s happy here with us. As I write this he’s making mud pies in the front garden, singing to himself and licking dirt off of the artichoke heart he’s been clasping for an hour. I can’t help but think that he is happy. But really, all it’s taken until now is a lot of love, and a lot of ‘boobie action’ as we call it. The hardest parts have yet to come. So today, I’d like to lay out a little game plan for those hard parts, in the form of a few promises to my beautiful little man.
- I promise to make mistakes. I might as well just put this one up front and centre, because there’s no avoiding it. I will screw up. Repeatedly. Sometimes in a big way. I’m sorry about that. BUT:
- I promise that thoughtlessness will not be one of my mistakes. Just because babies don’t come with an instruction manual, doesn’t mean that our choices don’t matter. I will always put my best effort into considering how I parent you and if the choices that I make turn out to be the wrong ones, I hope you will know I believed them to be best when I made them.
- The mistakes I make will be my own. I promise not to repeat something I know to be wrong simply because someone else did or does it. The cycles break here and the status quo stays at the door.
- I promise to respect you. You are your own person, even though you’re still a small one. Your body is your own even though I have to pinch hit for all of the things it hasn’t learned to do yet. Your needs are legitimate, even though you can’t put them in a sentence yet. I will protect that autonomy until you can exert it yourself and I will still respect it once you can.
- I promise not to hold you back. I want you to become the most you possibly can be, and if you surpass me in any way (or every way) I’ll know I did my job well.
- I promise to be the best example I can. It’s not always easy to live your values, but for your sake I will do the best I possibly can. I want you to see that you can make your dreams come true. You can be two (or more!) things at once. You can make a difference in the world. You can find someone to love, and you can love them for the rest of your life. You can.
I love you Little Man. xxoo